ISHA Divisions & Committees
The Illinois Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ISHA) is incorporated as a not-for-profit organization under the laws of the State of Illinois. In recognition of the responsibilities of this organization to the public, the profession and the membership, its purposes shall be to:
- Encourage scientific study of the processes of individual human communication, with special reference to speech, language, learning, hearing and swallowing.
- Promote investigation and prevention of disorders of human communication.
- Promote appropriate academic and clinical preparation of individuals entering the discipline of human communication sciences and disorders, and promote the maintenance of current knowledge and skills of those within the discipline.
- Foster improvement of clinical procedures with such disorders.
- Stimulate exchange of information among persons and organizations so engaged.
- Cooperate with other professional, governmental, and private agencies and organizations regarding the growth and consumption of services by the public.
- Disseminate information to related professions and to the public about speech, language, learning, hearing and swallowing processes.
This is accomplished through the work of the volunteer ISHA Executive Board, ISHA Divisions and respective Committees, ISHA appointed liaisons with other organizations, Ad Hoc Committees, members of the Representative Council and ISHA members.