On October 1, 2015, the nation made the transition to ICD-10 for coding medical diagnosis and inpatient hospital procedures. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is committed to helping the healthcare community with this transition. CMS Acting Administrator, Andy Slavitt, sent a letter in July to all Medicare providers urging them to prepare for ICD-10.
CMS continues to work with industry groups to support their ICD-10 progress. Many of these organizations offer free and low-cost ICD-10 resources on their websites. Vendors, health plans, and hospitals are also good sources for ICD-10 information and training. And it is never too late to refer to the ICD-10 Quick Start Guide and the CMS Road to 10 tool! Check out the resources available to you below to get you on the ICD-10 road moving forward! Keep up to date on ICD-10.
A List of Helpful Resources ICD-10 Resources
- Slavitt’s Letter: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/Downloads/MedicareProviderICD-10.pdf
- ICD-10 Quick Start Guide: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/Downloads/ICD10QuickStartGuide20150622.pdf
- Road to 10: http://www.roadto10.org/
- CMS.gov: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/index.html?redirect=/ICD10
- Industry Email Updates: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/coding/icd10/cms_icd-10_industry_email_updates.html
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Mapping Tool for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists: www.asha.org/icdmapping.aspx
- ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Codes for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology: www.asha.org/Practice/reimbursement/coding/ICD-10/
- ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes for Speech-Language Pathology: www.asha.org/practice/reimbursement/coding/icd9SLP/
- Coding Normal Results: www.asha.org/practice/reimbursement/coding/normalresults/
- Coding to the Highest Degree of Specificity: www.asha.org/practice/reimbursement/coding/codespecificity/
Compiled and submitted by Jordan Bowman, Medical Practice Issues Committee Co-Chair and StAMP (State Advocates for Medicare Policy) Representative and Shauna Ruzich, Early Intervention Committee Co-Chair