Support Diversity with the CSD Professions
Join ISHA's campaign to Support Diversity within the CSD Professions!
Representation matters! The current speech-language pathology and audiology workforce does not reflect state or national populations. A diverse and inclusive profession contributes to enhanced professional satisfaction and client/patient health outcomes.
The Multicultural Issues Committee invites you to take action! Help spread the word to young people from historically excluded communities about our speech-language pathology and audiology professions. Here are some ways in which you can contribute:
- Present at Career Day at a middle or high school with a diverse student body.
- Mentor a young person from a historically excluded background who is interested in the professions.
- Participate in school/community Literacy Nights, while highlighting your profession.
- Promote the professions during morning school announcements.
- Be a Diversity Ambassador for the professions by sharing information (selected websites and videos listed below) about the professions in relevant venues (e.g. schools’ Facebook page, share materials with school counselors for dissemination, invite young people to talk with you about your job).
- Invite high school students seeking internship or volunteer opportunities to work with you.
As part of this Support Diversity within the CSD Professions campaign, we are collecting submissions so that we can recognize you!
You can complete this form to describe your contribution(s) to this campaign, or a colleague can nominate you and complete this form. Contributors will receive an award certificate and recognition in the ISHA Voice publication.
Thank you for joining this campaign!
For questions, please contact Brenda Gorman, Multicultural Issues Committee Co-Chair, at email@example.com.
Websites and videos to share
Webpage – About Speech-Language Pathology
Webpage – Student Guides to Careers
Webpage – Order and share FREE brochures: A Rewarding Career for You, A Better Life for Others
Video – Become an Audiologist or SLP & Reward Yourself with a Career that Helps Others
Video – Speech-Language Pathologist at a Rehabilitation Hospital: Davetrina Seles Gadson
Video – Speech-Language Pathologists Make a Difference: Charles Coward
Video – Your Career Is Calling: David Alexander, Audiologist
Video – Your Career Is Calling: Joshuaa Allison-Burbank, Speech-Language Pathologist