ISHA 2023 Virtual Educational Series: Dementia Session
Root Cause Analysis of Cognitive Communication Impairments in Adults with Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
Presented by: Jordan Bowman, M.A. CCC-SLP-PNAP
Jordan Bowman obtained her Master of Arts in Speech - Language Pathology from the University of Akron. She is currently in the role of Vice President of Business Development for Powerback Rehabilitation. Jordan has presented at state and national conferences on topics including mild cognitive impairment, dementia, interprofessional approach to pain management, mindfulness, health literacy, and wellness for the older adult. Jordan is the current President Elect for the Illinois Speech-Language Hearing Association.
Session length: One hour
Activity Description: This seminar aims to inspire Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP) to utilize clinical analysis skills to determine each patient's specific cognitive communication impairments resulting from Alzheimer's disease and subsequent dementia. Evidence-based treatment approaches throughout the progression of the disease will be examined. Patient advocacy opportunities including caregiver and family education will be discussed. In closing, the SLP’s role in reducing hospital readmissions in individuals with cognitive decline will be analyzed.
- 0-5 minutes - Introduction and Disclosure
- 5-15 minutes - Dementia vs Normal Aging
- 15-30 minutes - Informal and Formal Assessment of Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia
- 30-45 minutes - Developing Patient Specific Treatment Plans
- 45-60 minutes - Reducing Hospital Admissions and Readmissions
Learning Objectives: After attending the presentation, participants will be able to
- Perform root cause clinical analysis of cognitive communication impairments in persons with Alzheimer’s disease via formal and informal assessment processes
- Develop patient specific treatment plans that may include cognitive stimulation exercises, functional cognitive-communication interventions, and caregiver education
- Analyze the SLPs role in reducing the risk of hospital readmissions in individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Financial: Jordan Bowman is employed by and receives a salary from Powerback Rehabilitation.
- Nonfinancial: Jordan Bowman is the President-Elect of the Illinois Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Ready to register? Click here to sign up!
.1 ASHA CEUs
All courses have been approved for ASHA CEUs. See each course description for the number of ASHA CEUs available. To report your ASHA CEUs or to receive confirmation of course completion, please complete the Participant Form for EACH course. This form can be found in the confirmation email you will receive upon program registration. The participant form will require completion of participant information, assessment of learning objectives and the course evaluation. You are required to attend the entire recorded course to obtain continuing education credit. Each participant form will be cross-checked with the viewing log to ensure participants viewed the entire course. Any individual who did not view the entire course will not receive credit and will be removed from the ASHA course report. ASHA CEUs will be reported at the end of each month.
If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to ISHA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-644-0828.