Telepractice Updates and Resources
Telepractice Committee Update Presentation - February 2021
last update: February 8, 2021
General Resources, Tools, and Information
- As a public service, the Patient-Provider Communication Forum, with the support from the United States Society of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (USSAAC) is providing a free bank of communication tools for you to download and print. This was created in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. While this communication boards were originally created to support the greater number of people requiring ventilator support due to COVID-19, ISHA also recognizes that some clients with complex communication needs may not have access to their augmentative or alternative communication devices/systems that were supplied by the schools or clinics. These communication boards would continue to support their communication competence.
- ASHA has compiled telepractice resources for use during COVID-19. The following telepractice resources will be updated as new information becomes available during this current COVID-19 situation.
- ISHA has received emails from members regarding guidance on how to proceed in the absence of appropriate personal protective equipment. Sarah Warren, Director, Health Care Policy, Medicare for ASHA provided information on this.
- General information and updates from ASHA regarding Coronavirus/COVID-19; this resource include updates on serving students with disabilities, impact on assessment and accountability, FERPA, K-12 general information, Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP program coverage.
- Current Status: In the state of Illinois, telepractice is approved for licensed audiologists.
- Contact for Audiology: Mike Sharp, Vice President for the Division of Audiology
- Current Status: In the state of Illinois, telepractice is approved for licensed SLPs and audiologists. It is recommended that providers check with payors prior to services as there is inconsistency in payor coverage for telehealth services. Early Intervention providers are encouraged to continue to watch the Provider Connections website for future updates and further information.
- Illinois Early Intervention COVID-19 Protocols (February 2022)
- In-person Early Intervention Checklists during COVID-19 Pandemic (Updated February 2022)
- Contact for Early Intervention: Karissa Genebacher, Early Intervention Committee Chair
- Weekly Updates from the Bureau of Early Intervention
- March 2, 2022 Update
- January 14, 2022 Update
- September 3, 2021 Update-Release Executive Order 2021-20 (COVID Executive Order 87)
- August 27, 2021 Update
- July 23, 2021 Update
- June 23, 2021 Update
- May 28, 2021 Update
- May 14, 2021 Update
- April 2, 2021 Update
- March 19, 2021 Update
- March 5, 2021 Update
- February 26, 2021 Update
- The Bureau of Early Intervention released a Revised Early Intervention Plan for Resuming In-Person Services on March 25, 2021. This informational notce is to provide all Early Intervention stakeholders with an update to Service Delivery Guidelines for Early Intervention in Illinois. Beginning April 1, 2021, in-person EI services can be increased to no more than 20 families. You can read the entire plan here.
- Current Status: In the state of the Illinois, telepractice is approved for licensed SLPs and audiologists. It is recommended that providers check with payors prior to services as there is inconsistency in payor coverage for telehealth services.
- Contact for Medical Practice Issues: Michelle Zemsky Dineen and Meredith Baker-Ruch, Medical Practice Issues Committee Co-Chairs
- Current Status: In the state of Illinois, telepractice is approved for licensed SLPs and audiologists. It is recommended that providers check with payors prior to services as there is inconsistency in payor coverage for telehealth services.
- Telepractice Information and Resources for School-based SLPs and SLPAs
- Contact for School Affairs: Diane Barnes-Maguire and Linnea Anderson Guither, School Affairs Committee Co-Chairs
- Current Status: In the state of Illinois, telepractice supervision is approved for graduate students, clinical fellows, and speech-language pathology assistants when supervised by licensed SLPs and audiologists. These rules are in effect until March 6, 2021.
- Practice Portal – Provides an overview of telepractice from the perspective of speech-language pathology and audiology. Definitions along with links to the Code of Ethics and supervision. A discussion of key issues, resources and references.
- Specific Topics – Provides references for issues related to regulation, practice guidelines, reimbursement and evidence-based research.
- ASHA Evidence Maps – Provides journal articles related to telepractice
- Payment and Coverage of Telepractice Service – Provides information on policies related to reibursement for telepractice services
- Special Interest Group 18 (SIG 18) – Telepractice: the mission of SIG 18 is to provide education, leadership, and advocacy for issues in telepractice, telespeech, and teleaudiology. The SIG 18 publication since 2011 covers a wide variety of topics pertinent to telepractice for both audiology and speech-language pathology including: regulation, rules, ethical considerations, reimbursement, models for use of telepractice, evidence-based practice and supervision.
- Code of Ethics – American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. (2016). Code of Ethics [Ethics].
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Reimbursement - https://www.asha.org/practice/reimbursement/hipaa/
- Security Rule - https://www.asha.org/practice/reimbursement/hipaa/securityrule/
- Medicaid Toolkit - https://www.asha.org/Practice/reimbursement/medicaid/Medicaid-Toolkit-Telepractice/
- HITECH Act – Implications for electronic health records, and broadens the scope of HIPAA to include business associates. https://www.asha.org/Practice/reimbursement/hipaa/HITECH-Act/
- Scope of Practice in Audiology - https://www.asha.org/policy/SP2004-00192.htm
- Scope of Practice in Speech-Language Pathology - https://www.asha.org/policy/SP2007-00283.htm
Other Government Agencies
- HIPAA - https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/index.html
- HIPAA Privacy Rule - https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html
- HIPAA Security Rule - https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/security/laws-regulations/index.html
- HITECH Act - https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/hitech-act-enforcement-interim-final-rule/index.html