School Affairs Committee
Diane Barnes-Maguire, Committee Co-Chair
Linnea Anderson Guither, Committee Co-Chair
Jennifer J. Klay-Kravat
Julie Obrien Smith
Susan J. Buzzard
Patricia L. Herron
Kelly Jean McCormick
Audrey A. Slana
This committee monitors legislation relevant to services in the school setting, has a voice in developing state and national legislation and regulation, and helps to create increased involvement in advocacy related to ISHA and to practice issues in the schools throughout the state of Illinois.
School Affairs Committee 2022-2023 Committee Goals
- To create and update content on the website that addresses frequently asked questions regarding state licensure for SLPs working in the schools.
- To continue to provide accurate literature regarding ISBE and IDFPR licensure and associated PERA requirements for school districts who utilize SLPs and Audiologists.
- To provide continuing education opportunities at ISHA convention related to the work of SLPs and Audiologists in the schools.
- To recognize colleagues for the Exemplary Practice Award.
- To work with other committees (Legislative & Regulatory Affairs, Multicultural Issues, Evidence-Based Practice, Public Information, Membership & Marketing, etc.) to recruit currently practicing professionals to volunteer their time to help create increased involvement in advocacy related to practice issues in the schools throughout the state of Illinois.
- To publish articles in each ISHA newsletter related to practicing in the schools.