Legislative & Regulatory Affairs Committee
This committee works with members of the speech-language pathology and audiology professions in Illinois to advocate on behalf of the clients in need of services. Included in these efforts are working with legislators and lobbyists to establish and uphold the licensure act, monitor impending legislation that impacts the professions and clients, and communicate potential and actual changes to regulations that will impact the areas of speech-language pathology and audiology.
- Janet Olson, Chair
- Heather J. Driscoll
- Corinne M. Stewart
- Karen Cannon-Janettas
- Laura A. Wilber
- Carrie Kerr
- Paula Hamilton
- Kim Pritikin
- Roger Reeter
- Maggie Block
- Alyssa Furman
- Kate Koval
- Treasyri Williams Wood
2023-2024 Committee Goals
- Focus Area: Professional Development/Continuing Education: Serve as a resource on key legislative and regulatory processes that effect service provision and consumers.
- Focus Area: Advocacy: Engage in legislative advocacy efforts to support professionals and consumers.
- Focus Area – Communication: Engage with membership to increase awareness of legislative and regulatory affairs via the Legislative Pairing Project, social media, and the ISHA website.
- Focus Area - Membership Recruitment and Retention: Increase participation and membership in ISHA through legislative and regulatory involvement.
INDICATORS OF SUCCESS:
- Increase committee members by 2.
- Committee chairperson will provide a welcome email to new committee members each fall with a brief history of the group, review of goals, and expectations.
- Maintain a legislative pairing project coordinator.
- Add 5 members to the legislative pairing project.
- Legislative pairing project members will contact their legislators once a year
- Communicate legislative and regulatory information to other ISHA committees at least 2 times per year.
- Create an ISHA newsletter item annually.
- Create an information sheet outlining the process for obtaining a speech-language pathology assistant license for the ISHA website.
- Update legislative and regulatory information on the ISHA website.
- Identify a committee member responsible for social media.
- Liaison with ISHA lobbyist to create a list of relevant legislation for each legislative session.
- Seek feedback on proposed legislation from ISHA membership.
- Liaison with other professional organizations for issues that cross professions.